August 4, 2011

Where it all starts...

May 16th, 2011 - This is when the real planting began. I had three friends that offered to help me plant the herb seeds after school one day. We planted dill, parsley, cilantro, and basil seeds. My mum was getting worried (like always) that we were planting the seeds way too late, so we had to "hut-to-hut-to," as she likes to say.

Starting from the top row of the picture above is me (yes, I'm wearing a thick coat because it's chilly in our garage), Maggie, and the bottom being Grace, and Maia. My mum loves to garden, so she bought some red (the official lucky color in Chinese) and pink (that's her favorite color) impatiens for our garden. She then decided for us to use the black containers of the pansies to plant our herbs seeds to save money, thanks to my mum's frugal-ness. This picture above shows us four taking the pansies out of the black containers, where the herb seeds will later find a comfortable home.

Next step: place the dirt in the black containers. We used a bag of Miracle Gro: Seed Starting Potting Mix as the soil. We placed about a half-inch of soil into each compartment.

Our dirty hands.

Our cilantro seeds that are soon to be planted. Please pardon my photography skills (or lack thereof I should say..).

Basil seeds.

Parsley seeds...? Hard to tell.

Dill seeds. They're very hard to see since they're so tiny, as you can see. Maggie had to plant these.
Maia concentrating hard on planting the parsley seeds.

Maggie and Grace working hard together to plant the tiny dill seeds and the basil seeds.

Maia beginning to water her clean seeded compartments with the measuring cup.

Me watering my not-so-clean seeded compartments with the measuring cup.

The four of us happily giving our seeds a new home! Thanks so much guys for all of your help!

For more information, check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTVg4QgHEOs to learn how to grow plants from seeds!

No comments:

Post a Comment