August 4, 2011

More seedlings and weeding

June 21st, 2011 - I just got back from my Dutch Exchange trip and I was a bit jet-lagged and drowsy. Plus I really missed my Dutch buddy, Rosemary (Roosmarijn - don't ask me how to pronounce that) and also my group. But my garden was missing me at Elawa, so I had to go.

When I got there, I was shocked. In a bad way. There were a ton of weeds growing everywhere. Mrs. Cartwright said that those tiny weeds were good because they help nurse the growing seedlings. But I still I got really annoyed/angry/anxious (alliteration skills right there). Don't worry, these were all internal feelings; I don't do tantrums. There was just a lot of work to do and due to my drowsiness, I had to forcefully put myself through it. But I had to be willing to do it. "Don't do it for the sake of doing it," is what my mum always says. And she's right (as always).

Thankfully, I got the help from my mum. She never complains and she's always willing to help me; I just can't thank her enough. Even though it doesn't show sometimes, I really appreciate her support for me. The picture above shows her weeding and planting the seedlings that we seeded with Maggie, Maia, and Grace.

The progress of Bed #1 after we weeded and watered. Lookin' good if I must say so myself, all that hard work really paid off. Here I planted (from front to back) rosemary, thyme, oregano, cilantro, basil, and parsley.

Bed #2 also lookin' good. Here I planted (from front to back) sage, basil, dill, and oregano. My mum and I got the sage from The Garden Fresh Market right before I left for Holland. Only 99 cents, pretty good deal if I must say so myself.

Watering Bed #1. Guess that being-annoyed-ness wore off.

Watering Bed #2.

Hammering the pegs into the ground. These pegs help prevent the hose from interfering with the herbs when I'm watering.

After about four hours of another hard day's work, I felt accomplished again. I overcame the previous feelings and felt relieved and happy that my garden looked great. Maybe being a farmer isn't so bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment